Sunday, April 19, 2009

Mossberg 930 Semi-Auto 12 gauge Waterfowl


I've owned the Mossberg 930 Waterfowl shotgun for about 6 months now. It's a gas powered semi-automatic 12 gauge shotgun with 28" black barrel, black synthetic stock, and a front fiber optic sight. Magazine capacity is 5 3" shells. Like other Mossberg shotguns, the safety is located on the rear of the receiver. According to who you talk to, Mossberg is a brand that is both hated and loved by many. I didn't have any feelings towards the company one way or another before owning this gun.

The research and opinion on this gun is all over the map. I'll give you some quick pros and cons based on what I've read and experienced. Some say the gun kicks harder than the Remington 11-87; I've shot both guns and see no difference. I've heard the Mossberg 935 has had problems ejecting light loads for quail and pheasants, but I've had no problem with Mossberg 930. The safety is plastic and a little different from my comfort zone location of Remington safeties - nothing I didn't get used to.

The Mossberg 930 is known for its low price. Lowered price guns usually suffer a lack of quality, and that isn't the case for this shotgun. There are many accessores available such as scopes, laser sights, stocks, pistol grips, and more. There is even a Mossberg 930 SPX model that comes with alot of tactical accessories right from the factory. If money is not an issue, buy a Super Black Eagle; but if it is, there is no bigger bang for your buck. I use it for hunting waterfowl and turkey. I have shot it thousands of times and in freezing weather; I haven't had it fail to feed, fail to fire, or malfunction at all.

BUY THE 930 MOSSBERG WF HERE
BUY THE 935 MOSSBERG WF HERE

I won't tell you I'm a Mossberg lover from this one gun, because one gun doesn't represent a gun manufacture as a whole. I won't say that the 930 is "better" than Remington, Berretta, Browning, or Benelli Autoloaders. I will say that from now I do not associate Mossberg with a negative "cheap" perspective. I do not necessarily believe they are the highest quality shotgun manufacture either. All I can tell you is that I love this gun.

You are going to need accessories:
Mossberg Accu-Choke Tube Wrench


Mossberg Shotgun Replacement Barrels



Larry Ralph Jr.

Share/Save/Bookmark

Bass Pro Shops

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can tell you that my son has a 2 year old 930 waterfowl, It's had around 1000 rounds through it and has had the LINK break ($70.00) and now this weekend the slide broke. If the slide is as much as the link then that's nearly 1/4 the cost of the gun on 2 parts. Wonder what else is next to break.
On a positive note it shoots great patterns no matter what ammo we put through it.

Unknown said...

I purchased this gun new. The first shot at the skeet range was fine, from there after the gun would not feed a round. I sent the gun back to Texas (at a cost of $80 to me) as was instructed by customer service. Weeks went by, I emailed several times and got no response. Finally after an email stating I was going to report the gun stolen did I get a response from Mossberg. The gun was finally shipped back after 2 months. I finally got the chance to shoot the gun at the the range again several months later. First round stove piped. The next 75 rounds went without incident. From that point on, the 930 refused to pull the spent shell from the chamber and eject. Mossberg once again has instructed me to send the gun back to Texas, this time at their expense. I’ve owned a 500 for 15 years and love it. The 930 is a huge dissapointment as well as the customer service I’ve received from Mossberg.

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

Anonymous said...

Can you put slug barrels on this gun?

PatML said...

Just tested my 930 Waterfowl. It cycled everything from Trap loads to Hevi-Shot. Best with Rem Nitro Steel & Win Xpert. Shot a little low when patterning. I'll adjust stock spacers to fit my needs. Only problem was that after 16 shots the forearm retainer broke. A new one is on the way from Mossberg. I'll update after next test.