Thursday, August 20, 2009

Why are local archery dealers jerks?

I know this might not be the case in your area, but I need to rant for a minute about local bow dealers in my local central indiana area. I feel as though I can see this industry from a beginner's point of view, because I did not grow up bowhunting. I never fired a bow until I was 21. Someone who is new to archery (like I was 6 years ago) should be welcomed and cherished by an archery store. From a business standpoint, they should coddle this customer like a newborn baby. He could potentially be a repeat customer every year. When I was new to archery, I was treated like the cousin at your family reunion that everyone tries to avoid and if they have to talk to him, they are mean and sarcastic. I couldn't ask a question without either someone rolling their eyes or a "duh" sarcastic response. It got to the point where I had anxiety to even enter the building over time, but my passion for bowhunting kept me going.

I have visited many more local archery ranges and stores withing a 60 mile radius since my first encounter with my closest archery store, and I can't say that any of them are any better with customers than the first one. It seems as though when you arrive at a dealer's store for the first time, they look at you as though you are lost. You get that feeling that you're a square that just walked into a biker bar. Everyone is looking at you funny, and the guy behind the counter doesn't ask " can I help you", but instead waits till you ask him a question. What kind of service is that? Not many stores could survive with such animosity for new customers.

I have put up with this crap for too long, and I never let it really get to me until I took my brother into a newer store just a few weeks ago. My brother is 21 and has recently wanted to change his life for the better. I've been counseling him and have tried to introduce him to bowhunting. He is looking to buy a bow so I thought we would try a new shop in the area. There was no one in the store, we were the only customer this dealer had probably for a couple of hours at least. From the moment we walked in to the moment we walked out, this guy acted like he didn't even want us in his store. I asked the guy to measure my brother's draw length for a new bow, and you would have thought I asked the guy to kill his own mother. He rolled his eyes and reluctantly did what I asked. My brother looked at me like "is this guy for real?" We didn't buy a bow to say the least.

So guess where my brother's money is going to be spent on a new bow? Ebay or craigslist. I'm not buying another bow from a dealer until I find a shop that actually wants my business. It's a shame, really. These shops have it bad enough with the internet taking so much of their business, but I feel as if I have no other choice.

Now some of you might be thinking, this guy is probably a problem customer with an attitude. I can assure you that is not the case. I'm in a customer service industry so I know what those customers are like. I couldn't be a better customer to any business that I deal with. I'm a very easy going guy, much more so than most of my hunting buddies. I don't take myself seriously, and I'm not a brand loyal nutjob that thinks mathews or hoyt or bowtech is the best bow ever made. I'm just a guy that wants to buy a product from someone who is decent to me.

Larry Ralph Jr.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some of these small shops are like that. I agree they should act a bit nicer though whether you are a beginner or a veteran. Without that there is no incentive for you to return.

Anonymous said...

I like the little shop in Greenwood. I think it might be called the Outdoorsmen. Whenever I have been forced to be in there, they are always nice.
Your blog cracks me up. You are such a guy. How long do I have to wait to see a picture of your little girl and a dead deer?

lralph said...

besswess

Your blog cracks me up more. All the half naked men you fantasize about. I subscribed. Anyways, Outdoorsmen is better than they used to be, they're the only one I deal with anymore. THey used to have a couple a holes behind the archery counter, but they're not there anymore. The baby girl will be here in 5 weeks. I can't wait.

lralph said...

The outdoorsmen is actually one of the largest archery shops around. The article is referring to the smaller guys that all hate the outdoorsmen.

SimplyOutdoors said...

I completely understand. And these local shops wonder why so many people on over to the big "box" store.

Thankfully, after a few bad experiences with local shops, I finally found one that is right up my alley. They are top-notch guys, and go out of their way in order to provide service.....at a reasonable price even.

Good luck in your search. And I hope you find a local dealer you're comfortable with.

Holly Heyser said...

What a shame! I've been very lucky - all my local hook-n-bullet stores have treated me well, which is not always the case for women.

It should be obvious that anyone in any hunting business should fall all over themselves to accommodate people who are new to any facet of this sport. It's crazy not to.

Anonymous said...

Goto predators archery in gilroy ca these guys a very profetional and respectful. If you need anything they are always willing to help out good luck